Vessel Documentation Explained
What is Vessel Documentation?
and Maritime Documentation Companies
Vessel documentation is the Federal registration of commercial and recreational vessels, of at least 5 net tons, with the United States Coast Guard and it is only available to United States citizens.
- Documentation establishes an Internationally recognized Maritime Title.
- Acts as the vessel's passport in foreign waters and assists in customs clearance.
- Allows you to operate your vessel on any waterway in the United States without
going through each State's registration process.
- Establishes an official basis for vessel identification.
- The Coast Guard maintains a history of ownership, mortgages, claims and liens, thus an Abstract of Title can be furnished upon request. This is especially important at the time of purchase.
- Most lenders require that the vessel be Federally Documented. This allows the lender to perfect a security interest, called a First Preferred Ship Mortgage, in the vessel that they are making a loan on.
Maritime Documentation Companies
* This list is provided as a courtesy only, and does not constitute
any recommendation by Corinthian Yacht & Ship Brokers.
- Dona Jenkins Maritime Document Service
- The Mary Conlin Company
- Vessel Documentation Services